How we pick our products
There are always moments when your beloved dog could pee in your home. And no matter how much you love them, you’re not thrilled about damaging your hardwood floor or the smell of urine lingering around. But the reality is that this will probably happen, and it’s not always rainbows and butterflies with these wonderful pets.
Luckily for you, the market for dog accessories is incredible, and there is a solution for when your animal can’t hold it in. Pee pads will protect your floor from liquid damages and retain the smell. In the following article, we will tell you everything there is to know about them.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Pee Pads for Dogs on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Pee Pads for Dogs
- 3.1 What are pee pads exactly?
- 3.2 Why may dogs need pee pads?
- 3.3 How can I train my dog to pee in the pads?
- 3.4 Are there other products for my pet to pee at home?
- 3.5 How can I train my dog to relieve itself on the street after using pee pads?
- 3.6 Can I use pee pads to go on holiday without my pet?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Puppies cannot go outside until they have received all the appropriate vaccines, nor can old or sick dogs. In these cases, you need to have pee pads handy so that they can relieve themselves at home without wetting your floor or leaving a bad smell.
- Remember that these products aren’t designed for you to go away for a weekend or a vacation and leave your pet alone at home. Animal behavior experts explain that a dog feels depressed and abandoned when it is left alone.
- If you’re on the hunt for pee pads for your dog, you will realize that there is a wide variety of materials and sizes on the market. You can even choose between single-use and washable products. We will delve into these aspects in the final section of our article.
Our Selection: The Best Pee Pads for Dogs on the U.S. Market
Regardless of the dog accessory that you’re looking for, there is probably a wide array of options out there. We want to make your life easier, which is why we have selected the very best pee pads for dogs currently available on the market. You can find out more about each product below; we hope this will help you choose the right one for your pet.
- Best Pee Pads for Puppies
- Best Washable Pee Pads
- Best Pee Pads for Large Dogs
- Best Pee Pads to Neutralize Odors
Best Pee Pads for Puppies
This pack of 100 pee pads by AmazonBasics is a Best Seller on the site, with thousands of positive ratings and reviews from past buyers. Each one measures 22 x 22 inches, and its highly absorbent core turns liquid into gel upon contact. The leak-proof pad is lined with a plastic material to prevent spills and damages to your floors. These regular-sized pads are designed for puppies and small dogs.
Best Washable Pee Pads
Whether you’re taking care of the planet or want to save in the long run, washable pee pads are a great option to consider. This popular set of 2 reusable pads comes in a variety of sizes so you can pick the right one for your dog. Made from leak-proof material, the base features a no-slip grip. All you have to do is throw them in the washing machine when they’re dirty! These reusable pads come with a 2-year warranty.
Best Pee Pads for Large Dogs
Designed to hold over 3 cups of liquid, these extra-large pee pads by All-Absorb are tailored to the biggest breeds of dogs out there. Measuring 28 x 34 inches, these accessories integrate an attractant that will help you train your puppy. With 5 specifically designed layers that include cotton, paper tissues, and plastic, these pee pads have everything you need to protect your floor from liquids and stains.
Best Pee Pads to Neutralize Odors
Some of us are more sensitive to odors than others, and the smell of urine can be particularly unpleasant if that’s your case. Glad for Pets’ pack of 100 pee pads will solve this problem for you. Capable of soaking up 3 cups of liquid, they measure 23 x 23 inches and feature 5 layers each. One of these layers contains activated carbon, a substance that efficiently absorbs and neutralizes odors.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Pee Pads for Dogs
There are many reasons why you may want to resort to using pee pads. This will be the case, for instance, if your dog is peeing at home without you knowing why. This is why our mission is to clarify the most important doubts you may have regarding these accessories and your beloved dog’s habits.
What are pee pads exactly?
Why may dogs need pee pads?
- When they are puppies. If you adopt a new dog as a puppy, remember that you cannot take it outside until all vaccination is complete. This means that they have to relieve themselves at home during that period.
- Old dogs. Just like humans, animals that reach a certain age can start to have significant mobility problems. In that case, buy pee pads rather than putting your animal through the torture of walking every day.
- Recently operated dogs. If your pet has had complicated surgery and has reduced mobility, it will need pee pads during the recovery period.
- When you are often out of the house. If you spend many hours away from home, you should ideally find someone to take your dog out. These animals need to walk, play, and socialize every day. However, have pee pads handy if you have no one to help you with this. Holding it in for hours is as unpleasant for dogs as it is for us.
- While a dog is giving birth. Pee pads can absorb the blood from the placenta and the mucus in which the puppy is covered.
How can I train my dog to pee in the pads?
If it is having trouble understanding and insists on urinating somewhere else, pick up your puppy and place it on the pad when it pees. Please keep in mind that positive education is the most efficient with animals, so don’t tell your pet off. On the contrary, reward them when they use the pee pads correctly. Start by having it in a small room to get the best results.
Are there other products for my pet to pee at home?
How can I train my dog to relieve itself on the street after using pee pads?
Your pet will smell other dogs’ urine. Don’t forget to give it a treat when it does its business during your outings together. Since you want it to do it as close to trees or bushes as possible, reward your animal more when it does. In any case, you shouldn’t tell your dog off if it does its business where it shouldn’t; simply don’t pay much attention to it.
Can I use pee pads to go on holiday without my pet?
Studies by animal behavior specialists have demonstrated that they also feel sad when the people they live with leave, be it for a few hours. You have to know that your habits will change the moment you decide to adopt a dog, but remember that their endless love and companionship are more than worth it.
Before you settle up for a specific pack of pee pads for your dog, you need to know that you are buying the right product. In the following section, we will delve into certain vital criteria to keep in mind while you’re scouting the market. There is such a wide variety of options out there, and these aspects will steer you in the right direction:
Since you use pee pads indoor to prevent liquids from damaging your floor and odors from lingering around, absorption is essential. To know the level of absorption of a product, start by checking the number of layers it has. You should also see what the layer in contact with the floor is like and what material it is made from.
The best pee pads generally feature a highly absorbent top layer, a middle area capable of converting liquid into a gel to compact the urine, and a plastic base that will prevent it from touching the floor. You should also check the quantity of liquid that the pee pads can hold. This is generally indicated on the product packaging. This allows you to know during how many days you can use the same pad.
The material plays a massive role in the pads’ ability to do their job of keeping your floor dry and your home free of odors. Besides, the manufacturing material will determine whether you can wash and reuse the products or whether you have to throw them away after a single use. Here is a list of the most common materials:
- Cotton: It is often used in the upper part of pads because of its high degree of absorption, preventing the urine from remaining on the surface.
- Waterproof plastic: Ideal for the base, it prevents any waste from passing through and touching the ground.
- Activated carbon: Certain pee pads include it to trap and neutralize all smells.
- Velvet: This material is found in washable and reusable pads to prevent urine from seeping through.
- Cellulose: This highly absorbent material is also commonly used in diapers.
This aspect will be influenced by the size of your animal and that of your home, as well as how many days you want to use the same pee pad for. Larger products can be left on the floor for longer, but keep in mind that they may eventually start to smell. As you can imagine, you won’t need the same pee pads for a large German shepherd as for a pup chihuahua.
Single-Use or Reusable
As we mentioned earlier, there are two main types of pee pads on the market. First of all, you will find some that need to be thrown away after two or three days of use. Secondly, you can purchase pads that can be machine washed and reused, just like baby diapers. In the following table, you can compare the pros and cons of both types to choose that which best suits your needs:
|Single-use||Washable and reusable|
|Advantages|| They are usually more efficient in neutralizing bad odors.
They require less effort: simply throw them away when they are dirty and start using a new one.
| Very respectful of the environment.
You have lovely designs and colors to choose from.
They are more economical in the long run.
|Disadvantages|| They pollute: they use materials such as cellulose, which is obtained from trees. Besides, they cannot be recycled once used because they are made up of various materials.
They end up costing you more if your dog needs to use pee pads for an extended period.
| You will have additional chores since you have to keep them clean.
The initial investment is higher. Most people who opt for this option buy two to always have a spare one handy. Keep in mind that they end up being more affordable the longer your pet uses them.
Many pee pads feature a sticker on the base so that they cannot be moved around. Nowadays, some manufacturers like to include pheromones on the pee pads. This stimulates your puppy’s instinct during training, and it will know that this is designed to do its business. If you choose a single-use product, pay attention to the quantity in each pack.
Your dog will probably need pee pads at different moments of its life, and this accessory really makes life easier for both pets and humans. There are times when you simply cannot take your dog out to do its business, and no one likes to have urine on the floor of their home. The good news is that you have a wide array of products to pick from.
Even if you are an environmentalist looking to reduce the use of single-use items in your life, you will find the right pee pads for your dog. Just remember that these accessories aren’t designed for you to go on holiday for a few days and leave your pet with a place to do its business. If you are going away, either take your dog with you or find someone to keep it company during that period.
We hope that you found our shopping guide on pee pads useful. If so, feel free to share it on your social media. We’d also love to hear about your experience with this product, so leave us a comment below!
(Source of featured image: Ivan Kmit: 76465311/ 123rf.com)