How we pick our products
Are you tired of the number of chemicals that you apply to your skin daily? If the answer is yes, then you have come to the right place. Many of us are constantly looking for new ways to keep our beauty routine the same while removing all the harmful ingredients from it.
In that regard, we often look at our hair; dyes aren’t generally very natural. Luckily for us, we can now turn to organic hair dyes. Have you ever tried these beauty products? Keep reading our guide to learn more about them. You will never look back!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Natural Hair Dyes on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Natural Hair Dyes
- 3.1 What is a natural hair dye exactly?
- 3.2 How do I know that a hair dye is really organic?
- 3.3 Can organic hair dyes cause allergies?
- 3.4 How long do natural hair dyes last?
- 3.5 Is natural hair dye applied in the same way as traditional hair dye?
- 3.6 Are there any tips to get more out of my hair dye?
- 3.7 Are natural hair dyes effective against gray hair?
- 3.8 How should I take care of my hair after using a dye?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- We all want our hair to be healthy, strong, and beautiful. However, the many toxic and harmful ingredients present in hair products mean they can often be counterproductive in the long run.
- This is why more and more women are using natural hair dyes as a new way of caring for their hair and scalp. This type of product offers professional results while reducing damage to your hair.
- There are various factors to consider before choosing the right natural hair dye. These include its ingredients and color, as well as the hair type and length it is intended for. We will look at these in greater depth in the final section.
Our Selection: The Best Natural Hair Dyes on the U.S. Market
We know just how important it is to take care of your hair in order to obtain professional results, even when you do it at home. The practice of dyeing it ourselves is becoming incredibly common today, which is why we have selected some of the very best natural hair dyes currently available on the market. We hope you find the color you were looking for!
- Best-Selling Natural Hair Dye
- Best Natural Henna Powder
- Best Natural Hair Dye: Amazon’s Choice
- Best Natural Dye for Gray Hair
Best-Selling Natural Hair Dye
With hundreds of great reviews and high ratings by past users, Naturtint’s natural dye is a true best-seller. Enriched with several organic plant extracts, it takes care of your hair and scalp. It is free of ammonia, resorcinol, and parabens, as well as heavy metals and animal products. This natural hair dye is available in 26 different tones.
Best Natural Henna Powder
Henna powder has been a natural method to dye hair – and clothes, for that matter – for centuries now. This non-GMO, cruelty-free, and organically grown product will dye your hair differently depending on your original color. Besides, henna powder dries hair out much less than regular hair dye.
Best Natural Hair Dye: Amazon’s Choice
Herbatint is a leading brand in natural hair care, and it has a wide range of color options for you to choose from. Thanks to its organic composition, it takes care of your hair and nourishes it while offering professional coloring results. Some of the herbal extracts present in the dye include witch hazel, white birch, and aloe vera.
Best Natural Dye for Gray Hair
Last but not least, Naturcolor’s permanent herbal-based gel is specifically designed to cover gray hair. Safe to use over color-treated hair, this product can be applied within less than an hour. The natural hair dye offers a complete gray coverage and is suitable for both men and women.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Natural Hair Dyes
What is a natural hair dye exactly?
- They confer a rejuvenated look to the hair.
- Long-term use will make the hair grow stronger.
- They can repair the hair.
- The appearance of frizz and split ends decreases.
- They offer full coverage, even on the lightest hair.
As you can see, using natural dyes won’t only give you the change in hair color you were looking for; it is a wholesome hair care process that improves the appearance and health of your hair.
How do I know that a hair dye is really organic?
There are two other certifications for organic hair dyes. On the one hand, the French organization ECOCERT and, on the other, the German one BDIH (Certified Natural Cosmetics). Both can testify that the ingredients used are harmless for the body. Furthermore, the fact that a product has either of these certifications guarantees that:
- At least 95% of the ingredients present in the product are natural.
- No animal testing is performed.
- It doesn’t contain ingredients of chemical, synthetic, or transgenic origin.
- The packaging is biodegradable or even recycled.
All you have to do is search for these labels on the packaging, and you will know that you are purchasing a genuinely organic hair dye.
Can organic hair dyes cause allergies?
- Apply some dye on your skin, preferably on the lower arm.
- Let it dry for 48 hours.
- After that time, you can use the hair dye if you see no redness, irritation, or any other allergy symptoms on your skin.
How long do natural hair dyes last?
You should also keep in mind that certain shades can last longer than others. Chestnut-colored hues will last the longest, while auburn tones tend to lose more color during washing. Platinum is generally the least durable. In any case, you should know that the more similar the color of the dye is to your natural hair, the longer it will last.
Is natural hair dye applied in the same way as traditional hair dye?
Here are some general guidelines to help you get going:
- Start by washing your hair.
- You are not advised to use metallic instruments or containers with natural dyes since they can affect the color.
- It is essential that the dye paste remains warm at all times. Once applied, you can cover your hair with a shower cap and apply heat with the hairdryer from time to time.
- The action time of natural dyes ranges from 45 minutes to two hours, depending on the tone.
- Don’t forget to moisturize your hair thoroughly once you are done. While plant-based ingredients guarantee a good fixation, they tend to dry the hair.
Are there any tips to get more out of my hair dye?
|Salt||It increases the duration of the dye.|
|Black tea||It will make the color more intense.|
|Vinegar and lemon||Both will strengthen your hair.|
Are natural hair dyes effective against gray hair?
How should I take care of my hair after using a dye?
This is why it is essential that you use a dye-specific shampoo that will moisturize and enhance the color you have chosen. In fact, many hair experts also recommend using a mask for colored hair at least once a week.
Now that you have decided to switch to natural hair dye, you are probably looking at an incredibly range of options available on the market. What is the next step to choose the right product? Well, we still have a few shopping criteria to introduce to you. If you take them into consideration, we guarantee you will be on the right track to pick the perfect natural dye for your hair.
The very first thing that you need to look at when buying a natural hair dye is naturally its composition. This type of dye should not contain specific ingredients that can be toxic or harmful to both your hair and scalp. These are the main ones to avoid:
- Paraphenylenediamine (PPD)
You will know you are buying a quality product if the one you choose doesn’t have any of these ingredients. As we discussed earlier, you can also look for the relevant certifications on the packaging to ensure that the dye is really organic.
When talking about duration, we are not specifically referring to how long the color will stay on your hair. We have already seen that this will mainly depend on how fast your hair grows, as well as the quality of the pigments. On the contrary, the duration is basically the type of dye, of which there are two: permanent and semi-permanent.
The former are ideal if you are looking for a more radical change in color, while the latter are intended to enhance the natural color of your hair or cover the first grey hairs. Don’t overlook this factor when making your purchase.
This is naturally a key criterion to consider when you are looking for any beauty product. The quality of a natural hair dye lies, above all, in the brand you choose. We recommend that you stick to leading brands that have received the certifications we have discussed earlier. This is a great way to guarantee using a quality product.
If you are currently using chemical hair dyes, you might also want to check whether or not this manufacturer also offers organic products. This is particularly useful if you are prone to allergies. If a brand’s chemical dyes haven’t affected your scalp’s health, it is unlikely that a natural one would.
Another factor that you can’t overlook is your hair type. While you can now find many universal hair dyes, experts still recommend using a product that is tailored to the needs of your hair. Luckily for you, there is now a wide range of such natural hair dyes available on the market.
Choosing a dye designed specifically for dry, oily, damaged, fine, straight, or curly hair can only enhance the results. The pigments will be better absorbed, and it will contribute more positively to the overall health of your hair.
Let’s finish our guide by looking at the various accessories included with natural hair dyes. While more and more brands are now selling these products as a set, you can still find some that only include the dye. This is a vital aspect to consider since you want to dye your own hair at home.
While dying your hair isn’t necessarily the most challenging of tasks, having all the right equipment is essential to get it right. This is why you should check that the product you buy comes with all the right tools. The very best packages will even include aftercare balms or shampoos!
Whether it is to play around with your color or simply to cover up burgeoning gray hairs, most women end up trying hair dye at least once in their lives. However, you have probably heard that this wasn’t the healthiest thing to do. If you thought there was no solution for this, natural hair dyes are there to save the day.
Thanks to this beauty product, you can now get the hair you’ve always wanted without damaging it too much. Made from natural and plant-based ingredients, they are not harmful to either the hair or the scalp. In addition, you will get the same – nay, better – results than with a chemical dye. So, what are you waiting for?
We hope that you liked our shopping guide on natural hair dyes. If so, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also tell us your experience with these products by leaving us a comment in the section below!
(Featured Image Source: Lightfieldstudios: 107876375/ 123rf.com)