How we pick our products
Are you an environmentally friendly person? Are you conscious of how people harm the environment and want to change some habits? If everyone made small changes we could all work together to make this world a better place. Some people recycle, pick up trash, etc. A good step you could make if you have a baby is using cloth diapers. We know that not everyone knows about these items, so we have made this shopping guide and review to teach you the benefits of using this type of diaper and help you get some for your baby. Are you ready?
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Cloth Diapers on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Cloth Diapers
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Cloth diapers are often reusable. This makes them even more environmentally friendly.
- This type of diaper is usually made out of cloth and is usually waterproof. They have absorbent pads and are quite practical. Many cloth diapers have parts made out of bamboo.
- If you decide to purchase cloth diapers, you should keep in mind some important criteria like the material they are made out of and how many you need. We will go over these factors and more in the section titles Shopping Criteria at the end of the article.
Our Selection: The Best Cloth Diapers on the U.S. Market
You may have heard stories or seen in movies that, generations ago, people would wrap babies in diapers made out of cloth. This was long before disposable diapers were popular. These new diapers take years and years to decompose. If you prefer to be more environmentally aware, keep reading. In the following section, we have made a list of our favorite cloth diapers currently available on the U.S. market. Stay tuned.
- Best Selling Cloth Diapers
- Best Simple Cloth Diapers
- Best Stylish Cloth Diapers
- Best Neutral Color Cloth Diapers
Best Selling Cloth Diapers
The first item on our list is the number one seller of its kind on Amazon. These diapers have tons of good reviews and ratings from other customers like you. See for yourself. They come in a variety of different sets with many colors and designs to choose from. You can’t go wrong with these cloth diapers.
Best Simple Cloth Diapers
If you are a minimalist and are looking for a set of cloth diapers that get the job done, the second item on our list is the choice for you. These simple, white diapers come in a pack of 10. They are made of 100% cotton and you can fold them however you want.
Best Stylish Cloth Diapers
The third set of cloth diapers on our list is the cutest. They come with adorable designs and patterns that will look great on your baby. These diapers will grow with your baby, as one size fits all.
Best Neutral Color Cloth Diapers
The last set of cloth diapers on our list comes in beautiful, natural colors that match with all clothes. They come in packs of 6 and are anti-leak. These diapers are extremely popular on the U.S. market.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Cloth Diapers
What are cloth diapers exactly and what are the pros and cons of using them?
One of the greatest benefits that come with using this product is that you will feel more environmentally conscious and will be taking a small step to making this world a cleaner, better place. You will also save money as you will not be throwing away and buying countless diapers. However, it is important to understand the pros and cons of any product that you wish to buy:
What parts make up a cloth diaper?
- Cover. This is the outer part of the diaper, which is usually waterproof but allows air circulation. This part does not allow urine to leak out of the diaper and is machine washable.
- Absorbent pad. This is the part that absorbs your baby’s waste. It is also machine washable.
- Lining. This part is not required but it is quite practical. The lining is usually made from bio-degradable material like bamboo. They are rectangular pieces that you put on top of the diaper’s absorbent pad. You can throw these parts away.
What types of cloth diapers are there on the market?
- All in one or pocket system. The absorbent pad and cover form one, single piece. The absorbent pad is in a pocket and you must wash the whole thing after each use. Keep in mind that this type of diaper takes longer to dry.
- Two-piece. You can buy the absorbent pad and the cover together, but they are not attached. The way you put the two pieces together varies depending on the model, but they usually have buttons or clasps. The benefit of using a two-piece diaper is that you have the option of only washing the absorbent pad of the diaper if the cover does not get dirty. You should buy both parts of the same brand.
- Adjustable. Adjustable diapers have an absorbent pad that is in the shape of underwear. They are perfect for during the night because they hardly ever leak. You will not have to wash the cover every time if it stays clean and dry.
- Refillable. This is a variant of a two-piece diaper, but this model has a hole where you can insert the absorbent pad of the diaper. You can wash the different parts of this diaper separately. Keep in mind that you can use disposable or biodegradable absorbent pads.
- Lining. These diapers are mostly used with newborn babies. You put cotton gauze around the baby first then wrap them in the cover. You use special clips to hold the material together. This is the most inexpensive type.
What materials are cloth diapers made out of?
|Microfiber (synthetic)||Extremely absorbent.||Not advisable for atopic skin.|
|Cotton (natural)||Resistant, breathable, and absorbent.|
|Bamboo (natural)||Bio-degradable and more absorbent than cotton. Hypoallergenic and soft. Has antimicrobial properties.|
|Hemp (natural)||More absorbent than bamboo and cotton. Resistant and absorbent||Rougher.|
Why should I buy cloth diapers?
How do I wash cloth diapers?
- Wash the diaper before using it on your child fo the first time. This step will help increase the absorption capacity of the cloth diaper. Always make sure to read the instructions thoroughly because each item may require something different.
- Soak the dirty diapers in water before washing them. This step will help remove any stains or bad smells. Make sure that you can do this with your specific model of diapers, as not every type is the same.
- Use a small amount of bio-degradable detergent. Use a soft detergent that is biodegradable. It should not contain bleaches or softeners, as these chemicals may reduce the diaper’s absorption capacity. Many experts advise that you should use half of the normal amount of detergent.
- Bleach occasionally. Do not use bleach frequently, unless your baby has a skin infection and it is necessary. Note that if you find yourself in this situation diaper rash cream is a must. Use this chemical only occasionally as it can deteriorate the outer parts of the diaper.
- Wash diapers separately. You should not wash your cloth diapers with other clothing. This will help keep them fresh. If you take very good care of the diapers, you might even be able to use them for more than one baby.
- Wash them again. If after following the product’s instructions and washing the diapers correctly they still smell bad, wash them again. A bad smell after washing is a sign of bacteria. You should always wash them in the washing machine again if you find yourself in this situation.
If you have gotten to this part in the article, you are probably still considering purchasing cloth diapers. This is amazing news! However, if you plan on buying these items online, there are still a few criteria that you should keep in mind to make your purchase quick and simple and to choose the best diapers for your baby. In the following section, we will delve deeper into these 5 criteria.
If you have finally decided to buy cloth diapers, you want to make sure that they are extremely absorbent, hypoallergenic, and soft. The comfort of your baby is key. As you have already read in the table we created different materials, cotton and bamboo are two of the best options due to their beneficial properties. These materials are also very soft and will keep your child comfortable.
How many diapers do I need?
This question is quite common when talking about cloth diapers. If you wash your diapers every day, 12 will be more than enough. However, many people buy up to 24 of these useful items. You can even buy up to 36 if you do not want to wash them as often. We have made a table to help you understand how many you may need for your baby depending on their age:
|Age of the baby||Number of diapers|
|0-4 months.||Between 20 and 24 diapers.|
|5-10 months.||Between 16 and 20 diapers.|
|11 months or more.||Between 12 and 16 diapers.|
These numbers are just an estimate, but they should be correct for most babies. For example, when babies are much younger, it is obvious that they will need more diapers, as they cannot eat solids yet.
We recommend buying adjustable diapers, as your baby will not grow out of them and you will be able to use the same cloth diapers until your child learns to go to the bathroom by themselves.
Some diapers come in packs that will include all of the parts that you need: the cover, the absorbent pad, and, sometimes, the lining as well. These packs may save you money. Make sure to compare different packs and their prices online before making your purchase.
View this post on Instagram
We are so excited to partner with @nestdiapers they are a company that offers diapers that are plant based and compostable. Not only are these diapers good for our environment, but they are super soft and we haven’t had any leaks 🙌🏽 Click the link in my bio to read all about our experience with Nest Diapers! What qualities do you look for when choosing a diaper?
Ratings and Reviews
When shopping online, it is also very important to go over the different ratings and reviews from other buyers. Customers often upload photos and talk about their experiences on Amazon. These opinions and comments can help you make the best choice.
Congratulations! You are now ready to buy these amazing items. Not only will they help train your child faster, but you will also be taking a small step in making this world a better place for all of us. We are confident that we have provided you with the correct information to make the best purchase possible. Now, it is up to you.
We hope that you have enjoyed our article about cloth diapers. If you liked this shopping guide and review, don’t forget to share it with your friends on social media. Have you tried using this item? Tell us about your experience; we want to hear from you. Thank you so much.
(Source of attached image: Elvira Koneva: 62291296/ 123rf.com)